Thanks to the combined technology of Shadow and Windows 10, Shadow supports Xbox One and 360 controllers without any additional software needed on Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. Shadow supports both wired (USB) and wireless (Bluetooth) Xbox One controllers.
📌 Before You Begin:
- Close the Shadow application on your device.
- Use an official Xbox One or 360 controller. Third-party Xbox controllers may not be compatible with your device or Shadow.
Connect via USB
To connect your Xbox controller to your device:
- Use a micro-USB or USB-C cable to plug your Xbox controller into your computer or TV.
- On your computer or TV, plug the USB into a USB port.
- Turn on your Xbox controller.
- Use the Shadow launcher to enable USB Peripherals. USB Peripherals is already enabled on the Shadow Ghost and will connect your controller automatically.
- Start Shadow and open the Quick Menu to enable your controller.
- Plug the Xbox controller into a blue USB 3.0 port, if possible. Some Xbox controller functionality, such as vibration, may not be available on USB 2.0.
- Mobile devices may require Bluetooth setup or a USB On-The-Go (OTG) cable.
- To use a wireless adaptor, see Microsoft's article Set up the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows.
Connect via Bluetooth
To pair your Xbox controller wirelessly with a Bluetooth compatible device:
- Enable Bluetooth on your device. For the Shadow Ghost, see the Getting Started guide.
- Press and hold the Xbox button on the controller. A small light will flash for several seconds.
- Press and hold the Bind button on your controller for three seconds until the Xbox button flashes rapidly.
- Use the Bluetooth feature on your device to find and pair your wireless controller.
For help pairing your Xbox controller to your device, choose your operating system from the list below:
Update Your Controller
Microsoft recommends updating your Xbox controller to ensure your device will be compatible with modern software and hardware updates. See how to update your Xbox wireless controller.
Test Your Connection
Your connection to Shadow must be able to support controllers. Most controllers require a download speed of at least 15Mb/s and ping less than 30ms. See how to test your connection to Shadow and check for issues.
🚨 Disclaimer: Any third-party software or hardware mentioned in this article is not licensed, sponsored, or distributed by Shadow or Blade Group. Using additional software or hardware does not guarantee your Xbox controller will be compatible with Shadow or your device.
Still having trouble? Contact a hero.