Shadow can support basic mice, keyboards, gamepads, and many other USB devices using our simple Plug and Play feature. For high-performance USB devices—such as webcams, virtual reality headsets, racing wheels & pedals, flight sticks, or capture cards—we suggest enabling USB Redirection.
See more instructions below.
- High-performance USB devices may require an upload speed between 50 - 100Mb/s.
- Try using an Ethernet cable for potentially faster or more stable upload speeds.
- Your device must be natively compatible with Windows and the device you're using.
Plug and Play
Some USB devices, including PlayStation and Xbox controllers, can be used once they're plugged in. This is commonly referred to as Plug and Play (PnP).
Plug your USB device into your computer, Shadow Ghost, or Shadow Box, then start your Shadow. Shadow will automatically forward these devices.
For help connecting your controller, see How to Connect a Controller on Shadow.
💡 Tip: If your device isn't working, try USB Redirection.
USB redirection allows you to pass a connected USB device through your computer to Shadow. Follow these instructions if you're using a high-performance USB device.
📝 Note: USB Redirection is currently supported on Windows, macOS, and Ubuntu operating systems. This feature is enabled by default on the Shadow Ghost and Shadow Box.
To enable USB redirection:
- Log in to the Shadow Launcher, then click Settings > My Shadow.
- Go to Use my USB devices on my Shadow > click Install drivers.
- Start Shadow and go to the Quick Menu.
- Click the USB peripherals tab.
- Check the box next to the device you'd like to forward.
Common issues connecting a USB to Shadow
I can't see my device in the Quick Menu.
You've enabled USB Redirection, but the device isn't appearing in the Quick Menu.
- See if your device manufacturer has additional drivers you need to install
- Uninstall the drivers from the launcher, then reinstall the drivers and try again
- Shut down Shadow using the Start menu, or click the Help icon on the Shadow launcher
- Restart your computer
- Go to the Launcher Settings , then click Reset all settings at the bottom
- Plug your device into a USB 3.0 port
- Connect to the internet using an Ethernet cable or a 5GHz WiFi connection
My device is enabled in the Quick Menu, but it does not work.
You've forwarded your device in the USB peripherals menu, but Shadow does not respond to any input.
It's possible the device is not yet compatible with Shadow. High latency, low upload speeds, and packet loss can also prevent your device from connecting to Shadow. See how to test your connection for any signs of these issues.
I can't check the box next to my device.
You've tried to check the box next to your device in the Quick Menu, but it refuses to check.
Completely reinstall the USB peripherals driver.
- Stop streaming Shadow and go in the launcher Settings .
- Click My Shadow, then click Uninstall drivers.
- Restart your local computer. Shadow's USB drivers won't uninstall properly
until your computer has restarted.
- Open the Shadow launcher and reinstall the USB drivers.
Your device should be forwarded once the drivers have been reinstalled.
I forwarded a device from the Quick Menu, but it disappeared.
You forwarded the device from the Quick Menu, and although the device seems
to work, it disappears from Shadow.
Confirm all of your devices are displayed in the Quick Menu and they have
If they have been forwarded but you can't use them with Shadow, click Remove all devices in the Quick Menu.
If this doesn't work, unplug the USB device from your local computer, then retry to connect it.
If you still need help, ask a Support Hero for assistance.