When latency occurs, you may notice some degraded performance when using your Shadow, like a lagging mouse cursor, stuttering sound, or low framerates from Shadow. If you've experienced latency or similar symptoms on Shadow, try making the changes in this article.
💡 Tip: Using Shadow for the first time? Make sure to see our other articles in Getting Started.
Lower Your Allocated Bandwidth
Allocated Bandwidth is the amount of bandwidth Shadow can use on your connection. We recommend setting Shadow approximately 10Mb/s less than your current internet speeds. For example, if your speeds are approximately 42Mb/s, Shadow's Allocated Bandwidth should be set to 32Mb/s. See how to test your connection to Shadow.
You can change this one of three ways:
- Use the Automatic setting (a) to let Shadow choose your Allocated Bandwidth. Restart the automatic bandwidth setting (b) to have Shadow test your connection again.
- Use the Manual setting (a) to choose your own Allocated Bandwidth. Use the slider (b) or enter your own bandwidth setting to change this amount.
- Open Quick Menu > Video Stream. Click the arrows or enter your own bandwidth setting to change this amount.
💡 Tip: You can also test your connection by setting your Allocated Bandwidth to 5Mb/s. Slowly increase the bandwidth until you find a comfortable balance between stability and video quality that works for you.
Change Optimize Streaming to Prefer Reliability
In the launcher Settings, go to Optimize Streaming, then use the arrows to choose Prefer Reliability. This will change which protocols Shadow will use to stream to your device.
Enable Low Bandwidth Mode
If your internet connection is not fast enough, enable Low Bandwidth Mode. See more on Using Low Bandwidth Mode (H.265). If your device was made before 2014, it may not support H.265 encoding.
Enable Low-End Configuration Optimization
If you have a device more than 6 years old, enable Low-End Configuration Optimization.
Improve Your Internet Connection
Here are a few ways you can improve your connection to Shadow:
- Use an Ethernet (LAN) Cable
Using a wired Ethernet connection will:
- Eliminate additional latency that a wireless connection adds.
- Make your connection much more stable.
- Change Your Wi-Fi Connection
If a wired Ethernet connection is not possible or your device requires a wireless connection:
- Connect to a 5GHz network. Some routers offer both 2.4GHz connections and 5GHz.
- Place your devices (such as a computer or smartphone) and your router closer to each other.
- Test Your Connection to Shadow
Running a Shadow speed test can help you confirm your device is successfully connected to the data center where your Shadow is located. See how to test your connection for help and other tips.
Need a second opinion? Contact Support and let our agents know more about your experience.